#SocialFacts: Do We Actually Know How to #HashTag?
What is #hashtag?
It is a word or a phrase use to identify a message on a specific topic that comes before a hash sign. If promoted by enough individuals, can “trend” and attract more individual users to the discussion.
When hashtag started?
#hashtag started way back in 23rd of August 2007 first used in a tweet by a former Google developer, Chris Messina.
Fun Facts on #Hashtags
- Numbers only is not allowed to hashtag otherwise it will not be hyperlinked
- Words with numbers can be incorporated in one hashtag, e.g. #alwafaadubai2019
- If you have hashtag one word e.g #mydubai, another same word will not be hyperlinked.
- Hashtags are not case sensitive; a search for “#hashtag” will find “#HashTag
- Languages which do not use letters are handled slightly different.
- The misuse of hashtags can lead to account suspensions. Twitter warns that adding hashtags to unrelated tweets, or repeated use of the same hashtag without adding to a conversation, could cause an account to be filtered from search, or suspended